Butter Chicken is a favorite in our house. This is one of our go to options for company and even though most haven’t had it before, this dish is loved by everyone. Serve with naan for an extra tasty meal or simply have a salad to round out the meal.
Don’t let the list of ingredients scare you. This recipe is actually easy and comes together quickly. All of the ingredients except garam masala are ones you already have and trust me, garam masala is worth purchasing. You’ll want to make this many times and this Indian Layer Dip also uses it.
The leftovers taste just as good so this is a meal you could prepare the night before and pull out and gently reheat on the stove while the rice is cooking on a Sunday after church.
If you enjoy Indian food, you’ll want to see next Friday’s recipe – one of my favorite breads ever (and a great option to serve along side this dish)!
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 T. finely minced garlic or garlic paste
- 1 T. finely minced ginger or ginger paste
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 2 t. garam masala
- 1½ t. cumin
- 1 t. chili powder
- ¼ cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ cups tomato puree
- 1½ cups half and half
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 t. salt
- 1½ pounds chicken cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 t. garam masala
- ⅛ t. cayenne pepper
- 1 T. arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- ¼ cup water
- Cooked rice for serving
- In a large pan saute onions until tender. Add in ginger, garlic, butter, lemon juice, garam masala, cayenne, cumin, chili powder, and bay leaf.
- Cook until ginger and garlic are done.
- Add tomato puree and stir and heat through.
- Add in half and half and yogurt. Let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Adjust other seasonings if needed.
- In a skillet heat a small amount of oil and brown chicken.
- Add garam masala, cayenne pepper, and a little salt
- Add a few spoonfuls of cooked sauce and let the chicken finish cooking.
- Add cooked chicken to the sauce mixture.
- Combine and arrowroot powder and water and add to the butter chicken. Cook until the mixture thickens and is heated through.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Linking up to these fun parties!