I associate memories or people with a lot of foods. These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are one of the recipes that we made when I was growing up that my mom got from her mom. Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies, and molasses cookies are always the first recipes I associate with my grandma and they are all delicious.
These are a fun twist on a traditional chocolate chip cookie. Perfect for when you want something a little different extra or maybe even just want to feel healthier about your dessert indulgence. (Because anything with oatmeal has to be healthier, right?!)
When I made these this last time my husband commented, “You know, normally I think oatmeal ruins a chocolate chip cookie but these are actually really good.” If you know Shaun’s love of a good chocolate chip cookies, that’s saying something. Besides, I really don’t think you can have too many cookies in your repertoire.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1 t. soda
- 1 t. salt
- 1 c. butter
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- ¾ c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. hot water
- 2 c. old fashioned oats
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Add eggs, water, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Combine 1½ cups flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Add oatmeal and combine. Add up to an extra ¼ cup of flour depending on your dough consistency.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Makes 2 - 2/12 dozen cookies.