During our recent Whole30 we made this recipe three times. We also served it with brown rice for the reintroduction phase. All that to say, we are fans of this easy, healthy broccoli chicken stir fry! My husband proclaimed it his favorite way to eat broccoli.
Most days I don’t have hours to spend in the kitchen so fast recipes are my favorites. This one is really so simple!
If you are gluten free or on Whole30 soy sauce is a no no, however coconut aminos is an option, but I couldn’t find it in our Wal-Mart and didn’t want to spend a fortune on a small bottle so we did without. Even without soy sauce or coconut aminos this recipe had great flavor.
I recommend that you make this broccoli chicken stir fry without the soy or aminos and instead have the bottle of coconut aminos or soy sauce at the table to use to taste.
If you like an extra kick, I highly recommend serving this with Sambal Oelek chili paste! It’s how I had mine and it was so good. I love the spice and depth of flavor the paste adds. (I also always add it to my serving of fried rice.)
We loved this served with either cauliflower rice or brown rice! Both ways made a delicious meal.
Chicken. I used boneless chicken breasts each time, but boneless thighs would work as well.
Broccoli. Fresh broccoli is the best for this recipe! I buy a head and wash and cut it myself.
Onion. Half of a fresh onion, diced!
Garlic. Don’t skimp! Get two large cloves of fresh garlic. I love to use a microplane to grate it.
Ginger. Buy a knob of fresh ginger. Keep what you don’t use in the freezer for later. Again, the microplane is perfect for grating the ginger.
Chicken broth. Because this recipe doesn’t use soy sauce, you need broth instead of water to get a good depth of flavor.
Arrowroot Powder. You could also use cornstarch. You just need a little to thicken the liquid slightly.
Rice Vinegar. Rice vinegar is so good! I love using it in pretty much all stir fry type dishes.
Sesame Oil. Another of my favorite ingredients for this type of food (and for Asian style salad dressings)
Coconut Aminos or Soy Sauce. Totally optional. We did without during Whole30.
Sambal Oelek. I love adding this chili paste for an extra kick!
Cooked Rice or Cauliflower Rice. Choice one to serve the broccoli chicken stir fry on. Both are amazing!
How many does this serve? My family of 2 adults and 3 kids got one meal out of this recipe. It would depend, also, on how much caulirice or brown rice you served it on and if you had any sides.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
Broccoli Chicken Stir Fry
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- oil for sauteing
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked brown rice or cauliflower rice
- soy sauce or coconut aminos, optional, for serving
- sambal oelek, optional, for serving
- Cut and wash the broccoli.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken and diced onion in the hot pan. Cook a few minutes and then add the garlic and ginger. Continue cooking until the onion is tender and chicken almost cooked through.
- Add the broccoli and continue to cook.
- Meanwhile, combine the chicken broth, arrowroot power, and rice vinegar. Pour over the broccoli chicken mixture. Cover the pan and cook until broccoli reaches desired tenderness.
- Remove from the heat and add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over prepared brown rice or cauliflower rice with soy sauce, coconut aminos, or sambal oelek if desired!