Fair warning. This treat is addictive! Chocolate goodness with the perfect crispy texture. This brownie brittle recipe is so good.
Even for those of us that prefer chewy cookies over crispy (that’s me) there is just something about this goodie that keeps pulling you back in.
All 3 kids and my husband also raved about this.
It’s a fast and simple recipe. You can save yourself money by skipping the prepackaged version and making it yourself.
Bonus, make and package it up yourself to use as a gift or part of a gift basket.
Affiliate links are used in these posts. See disclosure page for more details.
Brownie Brittle Recipe Ingredients:
Super simple ingredients. They are all things you most likely already have in your kitchen if you do any type of baking.
- Egg whites
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate chips
How to Make Brownie Brittle:
This is so easy to put together. I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the whisk attachment. You could also use a hand mixer. (Mine burnt out over year ago and I haven’t gotten around to replacing them – I just use the stand mixer more often)
Beat 2 egg whites until foamy. Add the sugar and beat some more.
To the egg mixture you will add melted butter (that has cooled off), vanilla extract, and a little water and mix some more.
Into a small bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Fold it into the wet batter.
Next place a silicone baking mat or parchment paper onto a baking sheet. (I used a baking mat.) Spread the batter into a rectangle approximately 9.5 inches by 14 inches. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and then press the chips into the batter.
Last up is baking. You use a lower baking temperature so you can cook this longer to get the great crispy texture without the brownie brittle becoming burnt.
Bake at 300 degrees for 30-40 minutes. (Mine needed the 40 minutes, but every oven is different so start checking at 30 minutes.)
When it’s done, it will not be completely hard, remove from the oven and let cool completely. As it cools the brownie brittle with crisp up perfectly! The kids love to help break it into pieces after it’s hardened up.
Hopefully your family enjoys this recipes as much as mine does.
Are you a brownie brittle fan? Any fun combinations I should try? Or any easy must make treats I need to know about?
Looking for some other chocolate desserts to try?
The Best Homemade Fudge
Dark Chocolate Pretzel Bark
Chocolate Crinkle Peppermint Cookies
Toll House Pie
Easy Brownie Brittle Recipe
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter, cooled
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- ⅔ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Using a stand mixer (with the whisk attachment) or hand mixer beat the 2 egg whites until very foamy.
- Add the sugar and beat again.
- Make sure the melted butter isn't hot and add butter, vanilla, and water to the the egg mixer and beat until combined.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda into a separate, small bowl. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Line a pan with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Spread the brownie brittle batter into a 9.5 inch x 14 inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips (amount can be up to you) and then press the chips into the batter.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, checking after 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely on the baking sheet. It should crisp up completely when cooled.
- Break into pieces. Store in an air tight container.