Random parenting tips that I’ve gleaned or appreciated over the last month.
1. 5 minute pick up is one of my favorite housekeeping tools. The living room suffers greatly when we by-pass this rule. Most nights, after dinner and dishes are done we set the timer and my husband, myself and our 2 year old all race the clock to get as much tidied up as we can.
2. Bath time is the perfect time for reading. Put both kids in the tub and sit on the toilet and read as they splash away. No other time do they stay in place for that long unless asleep. Since I won’t leave them in the bath alone, I might as well read.
3. Libraries are a good form of entertainment, especially the ones with toys in the children’s area. My little girl never wants to leave. At least I can bribe her away with promises of new books to read and movies to watch at home.
4. 2 1/2 is a fun age for reading. My daughter still loves pop-up books with bold pictures but she’ll also sit through children’s books such as Frog and Toad with lots of words.
5. My daughter loves to help in the kitchen. She has to be the one to scoop the muffin batter into the tins. It takes her a ridiculously long time, but I decide that it’s just fine because it gives me time to get all the dishes done and the counters wiped down before she’s done.
6. Babies feel left out. Sometimes my little guy is fussy and whiny, but when you bring him to be a part of the action and let him look at people’s faces he turns into a smiley and talkative baby.
7. Sleep and Plays are amazing. Why? Not having to worry about socks disappearing off of kicking feet.
8. Children are parrots. They pick up on everything you say and do. I have a habit of doing an exasperated sigh when I’m frustrated, irritated, or whatever. The 2 1/2 year old has started doing the same thing. Wow. Talk about a great reminder to watch what I say and how I respond.
Linking up to Teaching Tuesdays, Mommy Brain Mixer, From House to Home, Fellowship Fridays, Essential Fridays, Babies and Beyond, Teach Me Tuesday, Titus 2 Tuesday, Tending the Home Tuesdays, Welcome Home Wednesday, Thriving Thursday, Mama Moments