This Garbanzo Bean and Roasted Corn Salad came together on a whim a couple weeks ago. I needed a dish to bring someplace and wanted to use ingredients that sounded good and were in my house.
Garbanzo beans are one of my favorite things so I decided to determine the rest of the salad around that ingredient. Onion and jalapeno make pretty much everything better so those made an appearance as well. Sautéing them before adding them to the salad gives them more of a subtle flavor. I like my salads lightly dressed, mostly because I’m cheap and I hate to see all of the dressing left at the bottom of the dish. Because it’s not sitting in gobs of dressing, this will keep well for several days depending on what add ins you use. The perfect amount of citrus and oil flavors came through, but if you’d like to add more, go for it.
This salad is super easy to adapt based on what you have on hand. Look and see what vegetables you need to use up and add them in.
I enjoyed eating the leftovers for my lunch and will definitely be making it again. My 3 year old also loved it and had to keep taking bites from my bowl instead of her lunch. Little stinker. I suppose I should be happy she enjoys eating her vegetables.
- 1 (16 ounces) package frozen corn
- 3 cups garbanzo beans (or two cans drained and rinsed)
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ a small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½-1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1-2 avocados, chopped
- ½-1 cup red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime (or lemon) juice
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your oven on to high broil. Spread the corn onto a large baking sheet and place in the oven around 10 minutes. You don't want to over cook and dry out the corn so watch it and stir one or two times.
- In a skillet sauté the jalapeno, onion, and garlic.
- In a large bowl combine the corn, garbanzo beans, onion mixture and dressing ingredients.
- Adjust seasons to taste. Can also add a little garlic powder if needed.
- Gently stir in add ins.
- Can serve room temperature or chilled.
Linking up to these fun parties!