Affiliate links used.
Making your own stovetop popcorn is easy. Not only, that it’s super tasty and this recipe is the bomb. My kids (and husband) love movie nights that involve a giant bowl of this stuff.. CCoconut oil is the secret ingredient, skip the canola or vegetable oil and go straight to the good stuff. I buy my coconut oil in 54 ounce tubs, but if you will only be using it for popcorn it’s still worth buying a small container! (Check out Amazon and Vitacost for a good selection. If you sign up using my Vitacost referral link, you’ll get $10 off.)
You might wonder, why not just pull out the microwave stuff. It’s a staple in so many homes. Easy and good movie night snack, right? Hold that thought. The synthetic butter flavoring is diacytel and may cause lung problems and most of the bags are lined with perfluorooctanoic acid, a carcinogen.
Don’t worry! There’s another option. Homemade is the way to go.
If you are looking to simplify homemade popcorn even more, check out a Whirley-Pop Popper. This is the gadget we normally use, and it’s even easier. Today, though, I put my kernels in a good old pot and shook it around the old fashioned way to show you it can be done. 🙂 The bonus of using a heavy bottomed pot is that you get a little extra arm workout.
I’d say, if popcorn is something you just make once a month or a couple times a year, go with the pot method. If you make it weekly (or more – I’m telling you, it’s that good and easy. I love a snack I can give my kids in minutes.), investing in a Whirley-Pop Popper is something you might want to do – and it’s not even that expensive.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- 2-4 tablespoons butter
- sea salt to taste
- Put 2 tablespoons in the bottom of a pot with a lid and add 3 popcorn kernels. Put the lid on and turn heat to medium (if you are using a thick bottom pot, turn it up a touch more.)
- Let pan sit on stove until the 3 kernels pop. Remove lid and add ½ cup of kernels. Replace lid. In the beginning shake pan every 20 or so seconds. As the corn begins popping, shake every 10 seconds.
- When the popping has stopped, pour popcorn into a bowl.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter. drizzle half of if over the popcorn and sprinkle with a little salt. Toss. Drizzle with the remaining butter. Toss. Add more butter and salt to taste.
Linking up to these fun parties!