We have a lot of chocolate fans in our house, so this double chocolate quick bread was a winner!
Quick breads are typically used as a breakfast item. A very indulgent one, in this case. (Though donuts are also considered breakfast, so this can’t be much worse! Perfect for an occasional treat.)
This bread is yummy enough that we have also enjoyed it for dessert after supper in the evening.
Lots of cocoa powder and a decent amount of chocolate chips will make this double chocolate quick bread a frequently requested recipe.
Affiliate links are used in the posts. Please see disclosure page for more details.
Double Chocolate Quick Bread Ingredients
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate chips
It might seem like a long list, but they are almost all things you have at home in your pantry already!
Buttermilk might be the only ingredient you don’t have on hand, but trust me it’s worth it! Buttermilk makes yummy dinner rolls, the best pancakes, and also a great quick bread!
Chocolate Chocolate Quick Bread Instructions
The first thing you need to do is measure your buttermilk and set it and the eggs out on the counter to come to room temperature.
This is important because you don’t want to cause the melted butter and coconut oil (if that’s what you choose to use) to harden from the milk and eggs being cold.
Next, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
(I learned this tip from Andrea Dekker – always preheat your oven to 25 degrees hotter than what you are going to bake it at and turn down after putting the baked goods in.)
Now combine your dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder & soda, and cocoa powder. Be sure to stir well so there are no streaks of flour or cocoa powder remaining. Stir in the chocolate chips. (Reserving a few for the top)
Note: The amount of chocolate chips is up to you! I recommend between 1 and 2 cups. Obviously, more chocolate is always better but I totally get using less to stretch the bag. Do what you want.
Melt the butter and coconut oil. Let cool until warm, not hot. Add the room temperature buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla and whisk until combined.
Pour wet ingredients over the dry and fold mixture until combined. Don’t over mix but you don’t want clumps of flour either.
Grease your baking pans well! Pour mixture in. Press remaining chocolate chips into the top of the dough.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. (Check at 30 minutes.)
Let cool in pans for 10 minutes and remove to cooling rack.
Let’s talk pans!
I use my set of mini USA Pans. You’ve heard me talk about these before. My favorite brand of muffin tin as well. These pans measure 5.25 x 3 x 2.25 and the batter will fill 3 of them. Of course you may use a different pan, or even one large pan – just know you will need to adjust the baking time so watch carefully!
This recipe would also work great as double chocolate muffins!
If you are want a little healthier muffin, be sure to check out these 3 recipes:
Double Chocolate Quick Bread Recipe
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1⅓ cup buttermilk (room temperature)
- ¼ cup oil (coconut oil melted or oil of choice)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2 cups chocolate chips
- Measure the buttermilk. Put buttermilk and eggs on counter to come to room temperature. (Very important!)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter well 3 mini loaf pans (5.25 x 3 x 2.25). (You may use a large loaf pan, you will need to adjust baking time.)
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Be sure to mix until no streaks of flour or clumps remain. Add desired amount of chocolate chips, reserving a few to sprinkle on top of the bread.
- In a small bowl place (room temperature) buttermilk, eggs, liquid oil, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and fold to combine. Don't over mix but you also don't want streaks of dry ingredients remaining.
- Pour batter into the 3 prepared pans. Press remaining chocolate chips over the top of the batter.
- Place in oven. Turn oven down to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in pans. Carefully remove from pans and cool completely on rack.