There’s nothing like old fashioned molasses cookies. An amazing chewy cookie with the deep flavor of molasses and all those traditional holiday spices. So good!
Of course they are a must for the Christmas and Thanksgiving season (along with these cookies), but I think they are perfect for any time of year! Finishing off a summer dinner, of course, is a good idea. Making them during a spring rain storm = perfection. Basically, you should make old fashioned molasses cookies anytime you get a hankering to. Please don’t save them for only the holiday season. 🙂
If you want an extra molasses cookie, be sure to check out my other molasses cookie recipe that uses double the molasses and increases the spice level. But this recipe is the traditional one that everyone knows and loves.
OLD FASHIONED MOLASSES COOKIES INGREDIENTS:
The ingredients are really quite simple for this cookie.
- Granulated sugar
- Baking soda
One of my friend has a favorite molasses brand – Brer Rabbit molasses. I don’t find that one in the store often at all, so I just get what is available. Grandma’s Molasses and store brands are what’s available where I live.
OLD FASHIONED MOLASSES COOKIES INSTRUCTIONS:
- Cream the room temperature butter and sugar together.
- Add the egg and molasses.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and the 3 spices.
- Add to butter mixture. Mix until combined.
- Roll 1 tablespoon amounts of dough into balls. (You can do this based on how large you want them. This size makes 28-29 cookies)
- Roll in granulated sugar and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool on pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
Freezing Cookies and Dough:
You make make a double or triple batch of these yummy, chewy molasses cookies and store the baked cookies in an airtight container in the freezer. Let the cookies thaw before eating them.
Another option I like to do is to freeze the dough balls after they are rolled in sugar. Pull what you want out of the freezer and bake as normal. You may need to add an additional couple minutes to the baking time.
Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies Recipe
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- additional sugar for rolling
- In a mixer (or by hand) beat the sugar and butter until creamy.
- Add the molasses and egg and continuing beating until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, soda, salt, and ground spices.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined.
- Refrigerate the dough for 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll the dough into balls with 1 tablespoon of dough and roll in the granulated sugar.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool on pan for 3 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.