One of my sisters is married to a man from India. She cooks some killer Indian food. This recipe is one of hers and it is good. The Spicy Indian Chicken Sandwich is a fun change from a regular grilled or pan cooked chicken sandwich and has a nice kick. Adjust the spice depending on your family’s heat tolerance. My family can’t take things near are spicy as my sister and those she cooks for. On top of the heat in this chicken, she recommends topping the sandwich with sliced raw jalapeno. There is no way my mouth could handle that, but if you like fire, go for it!
You can thinly slice the chicken breast and cook on the grill or cut into bite sized piece and cook over the stove. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, and thinly sliced red onion. Serve on a bun or in a piece of naan as a tasty wrap.
This will serve 6-8 depending on how large your chicken breasts are.
- 3 chicken breasts (thinly sliced or cut into chunks)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-3 teaspoons of sambal oelek (these last two are the ingredients you'll want to adjust for how spicy you like)
- Bread, Buns, or Naan
- Red Onion
- Combine all ingredients except for chicken.
- Rub spice mixture over chicken and let marinate at least four hours and preferably overnight.
- Cook the thinly sliced pieces of chicken on a low grill being careful not to overcook or saute the chunks in a small amount of oil on the stove.
- Build your sandwich or wrap with your choice of bread and toppings.
Linking up to these fun parties!