This easy butter chicken recipe is so delicious! It’s my husband’s favorite Indian dish. Indian should probably be in quotation marks, because I’m sure this is a thoroughly Americanized version. But that’s okay, because everyone enjoys it!
[Affiliate links are used in this post. See the disclosure page for more info.]
Another plus is that except for one ingredients, you probably already have everything in your kitchen or can grab it inexpensively at your local grocery store. So don’t the list of ingredients scare you! This easy butter chicken recipe is so simple and comes together quickly.
Garam masala, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and bay leaves.
What’s the one special ingredient? Garam masala. This spice mixture smells amazing. You can find it at an Indian store or even try to make your own blend. You’ll find flavors like cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon in the blend along with others! Doesn’t it sound intriguing?! Of course, it’s also available on Amazon!
You can also use garam masala in this delish appetizer: Indian Layer Dip.
Butter Chicken is a favorite in our house. It is even one of our go to options for company. Most of our guests haven’t had it before but this dish is loved by everyone.
Serve over rice (or cauliflower rice if you prefer). Of course it’s amazing with naan or you can simply have a salad or roasted broccoli to round out the meal.
The leftovers taste just as amazing as the first day, so this is a meal you could prepare the night before and pull out and gently reheat on the stove while the rice is cooking on a Sunday after church.
Aren’t those types of meals the best?
You will want to be sure to check out this recipe for homemade naan, as well! The prepackaged super market variety doesn’t compare. My kids love it.
Easy Butter Chicken Recipe
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 T. finely minced garlic or garlic paste
- 1 T. finely minced ginger or ginger paste
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 2 t. garam masala
- 1½ t. cumin
- 1 t. chili powder
- ¼ cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ cups tomato puree
- 1½ cups half and half
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 t. salt
- 1½ pounds chicken cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 t. garam masala
- ⅛ t. cayenne pepper
- 1 T. arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- ¼ cup water
- Cooked rice for serving
- In a large pan saute onions until tender. Add in ginger, garlic, butter, lemon juice, garam masala, cayenne, cumin, chili powder, and bay leaf.
- Cook until ginger and garlic are done.
- Add tomato puree and stir and heat through.
- Add in half and half and yogurt. Let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Adjust other seasonings if needed.
- In a skillet heat a small amount of oil and brown chicken.
- Add garam masala, cayenne pepper, and a little salt
- Add a few spoonfuls of cooked sauce and let the chicken finish cooking.
- Add cooked chicken to the sauce mixture.
- Combine and arrowroot powder and water and add to the butter chicken. Cook until the mixture thickens and is heated through.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.