Mmmmm. Light, airy, hot off the griddle. This is the best homemade fluffy pancakes recipe out there.
Many a Saturday morning growing up, my dad would pull out the
big giant green Tupperware bowl and mix up a humongous batch of pancakes. We ate dozens of these things each week. I can remember him even feeding numerous neighbor kids.
Now that I have kids of my own, pancakes or waffles are a typical Saturday lunch.
(I have an apple whole wheat pancake recipe right here for another fun option.)
Maple syrup is our go to topping but fruit and/or butter would also be delicious.
There are two things that help make these pancakes extra fluffy.
Let’s start with the buttermilk.
Buttermilk makes amazing pancakes (and rolls – I’ll have to share that recipe soon). If you don’t have buttermilk, you can do the trick of adding a little vinegar to the milk and letting it sit a few minutes.
*Decrease the amount of milk mixture by 1-2 tablespoons if not using real buttermilk.*
You can also use almond milk and vinegar for a dairy free substitute.
The egg whites.
This is the second secret. Separate your eggs and beat the egg whites until they are stiff. The final step before cooking your pancakes will be to fold the egg white mixture into your batter. I love using a silicone spatula for this. Mine are from The Pampered Chef, but these ones on Amazon seem to have good reviews too!
You guys, this is so good! You might dirty an additional bowl but it’s worth it.
This recipe also calls for an optional extra – a little bit of cinnamon. Give it a try!
In the pictures above, I made a triple batch.
I love to whip up a giant batch of these homemade fluffy pancakes and put the leftovers in the freezer. Be sure and freeze them in a single layer and after the pancakes are frozen transfer them to a zipped freezer bag.
To eat, pull one out of the freezer and put it in the toaster for the perfect, easy weekday breakfast.
P.S. We even make these into whole wheat pancakes! Freshly ground soft white wheat is the best for that.
Homemade Fluffy Pancakes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk (see notes for substitute)
- 2 T oil (or melted butter)
- 1 C flour
- 1 T sugar
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t soda
- ½ t salt
- 1 t. vanilla
- opt.dash or two of cinnamon
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and optional dash of cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- Separate the egg.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk, oil, vanilla, and milk.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until lumps are gone.
- In another bowl beat the egg white until stiff.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the pancake batter with a silicone spatula.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Put a ⅓ of a cup of batter onto a hot skillet and cook until golden. (Watch for small bubbles to come up and the edges to look a little more firm.) Flip and cook the other side.
- Serve with toppings of choice.
If you are looking for some other breakfast ideas, check out: