I love sweet potatoes. They are amazing. When I first made this Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole, I was in love! It’s wheat free, dairy free, and is Whole30 approved. The perfect food to start your morning.
I made it once, ate leftover for the next three days. Made it again and ate the leftovers all week. It’s one of those dishes you don’t grow tired of – I enjoyed it just as much while finishing off the pan the second time. Yes, that means the leftovers taste just as good!
Let’s just pretend you don’t love sweet potatoes quite as much as I do. Don’t be scared away! My husband is not a fan and even he enjoyed this dish. The kiddos, they gobbled it up too.
If your mornings are anything like mine, you aren’t going to want to take time to brown pork and onions and roast the sweet potatoes in the morning. Let me fill you in on a little secret. The night before do all the prep work and layer the potatoes, meat, and veggies in the pan. Stick in the refrigerator. In a bowl, crack and whisk the eggs. Stick in the fridge. The next morning, pull the dishes out, whisk the coconut milk into the eggs and pour into the pan. Put the pan into the cold oven and turn onto 350 degrees. In just 30-35 minutes it will be ready for you!
- 1 pound ground pork (or meat of your choice)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon powdered thyme
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ⅛ teaspoon fennel
- pinch red pepper flakes
- black pepper
- 4 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes (3-4 potatoes)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 8 eggs (large - extra large)
- ½ cup coconut milk (canned) can sub other milk
- Sea Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- In a skilled combine all the sausage ingredients. Cook until almost done. Add the onions and finish cooking.
- Meanwhile, place sweet potatoes on a jelly roll pan and broil on high for 10 minutes, stir and broil another 5 minutes. I keep my pan in the middle of the oven, if yours is higher you may need to cut down on the time.
- Turn oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together coconut milk and eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread broiled sweet potatoes in the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Top with meat mixture. Sprinkle with the bell peppers. Pour egg mixture over the top.
- Put in preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Linking up to these fun parties!