I spent 5 years working as a server at a Mexican restaurant in our town. The kid’s menu was filled with things like corn dogs, mac and cheese, burgers, and chicken fingers. Then there was the taco meal and Mexican pizza. I always thought the name Mexican pizza was a complete misnomer and if any poor child ordered it for the first time they’d be sorely disappointed. It was a crispy corn tortilla topped with taco meat and melted cheese served with beans and rice. Not a very traditional pizza.
This recipe is basically that “Mexican Pizza”. It’s a super easy and quick lunch or supper that kids love! My daughter inhales this when I make it. If I already have beans and tortillas cooked, it is done in under 10 minutes. Can’t beat that on a rushed day.
You can make this as easy or complicated as you’d like. Use canned or dehydrated refried beans or cook up your own. I like to cook up my own beans in bulk and freeze in meal size portions. Buy tostada shells or what I do is bake corn tortillas directly on the oven rack at 200 degrees until they are crispy. Serve simply topped with cheese or set out an array of toppings that everyone can add after the tostadas come out of the oven. Things such as: green onions, sliced olives, sour cream, homemade salsa, guacamole, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, cilantro. My daughter loves hers with just the beans and cheese. I’m okay with that (plus, it’s less messy for her to eat)!
You really don’t even need a recipe for this, but I’ll share what I do. This would be a good meal to put the kids in charge of making. If your family likes meat, add some taco beef or chicken on top of the beans. If there are bean haters, just do the meat.
- Tostada Shells (purchased or make you own by baking at 200 until crispy)
- Refried Beans (and/or taco beef or chicken)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional Toppings:
- Guacamole, green onions, salsa, sour cream, cilantro, olives, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes etc
- Spread a layer of beans on top of the tostada shells.
- Sprinkle with meat if you are using.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and cut each tostada into 4 wedges.
- Serve with optional toppings I desired.