If you like spicy food with a lot of flavor that’s also healthy, you have to give this sweet potato chorizo hash recipe a try!
It is my latest breakfast obsession.
(If you’ve been around a while, you know that my other breakfast obsession is this Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole I love just as much.)
This recipe came to be after I found some chorizo marked down at the grocery store. (Aren’t those shopping trips the best!) Surprisingly, it was the first time I had ever purchased chorizo. In fact, I don’t know if I had ever even tried it before.
Did you know you can even make your own chorizo? I have this recipe for chorizo saved on my Pinterest to try! Great way to enjoy it if you are on a Whole30 or eating Paleo and need to avoid some of the ingredients you normally find in it.
Back to breakfast. I know my love of sweet potatoes and we eat a lot of eggs for breakfast so I couldn’t go wrong if I put it all together with some bell peppers and onions. A perfect and flavorful dish!
I make this dish roasting cubed sweet potatoes in the oven. You could also dice the sweet potatoes and cook them in a skillet. Since I make the sweet potatoes in bulk (I fill up a jelly roll pan), the oven works best. (I’ve even done it on broil when I don’t want to heat up the house as much. I just have to watch them more closely so they don’t get scorched.)
Time Saving Tip: Roast a ton of sweet potatoes at the beginning of the week and then for the other breakfasts, just grab out and reheat in a skillet with the also already cooked bell peppers, onions, and chorizo while you are cooking the eggs and breakfast will be done in 5 minutes.
You could prep everything completely and divide into breakfast size portions and store in the fridge (I’ve done this many times) but let’s admit that freshly cooked eggs are better than reheated ones! 😉
I added okra I roasted with the sweet potatoes to this breakfast bowl!
Sweet Potato Chorizo Hash Ingredients:
- Sweet potatoes
- Bell Peppers (Feel free to swap these for something else. I think broccoli, brussel sprouts or even cabbage would be yummy!)
- Fresh garlic
Some of my family are not fans of sweet potatoes. You can swap sweet potatoes for roasted white potatoes, hash browns, or even tater tots!
Sweet Potato Chorizo Hash Recipe
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½-1 pound chorizo
- ½ of a large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 eggs
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive or Coconut Oil
- Peel and chop/dice your sweet potatoes into whatever size pieces you like best. Place on a large rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in an oven preheat to 450 degrees and bake for 20-45 minutes depending on the size of your pieces. Stir part way through. You want them to have golden brown parts and be tender but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, brown the chorizo in a skillet and remove to a bowl. Drain the grease/
- In the same skillet with a little of the chorizo grease, saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic until tender and caramelized. Add to the chorizo.
- Whisk the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Scramble eggs in the skilled the chorizo was just in.
- When sweet potatoes have finished cooking, combine with the chorizo, onion mixture, and eggs in the skillet, warm, and enjoy!
1. The fast method: Make completely and combine into serving size containers. Refrigerate and reheat in the mornings.
2. Longer method: Combine the roasted sweet potatoes, cooked chorizo, and cooked onion mixture. Refrigerate. In the morning reheat the amount you want in a skillet, remove to a bowl or plate, and cook your eggs in the same skillet. Just add to your already heated sweet potato mixture and your breakfast is ready!
Additional Veggies: feel free to use additional veggies. Roasted okra or broccoli would be wonderful!
Originally published June 3, 2015. Updated August 3, 2020.
Be sure to check out these other posts for more breakfast ideas: