I have to share with you my new breakfast obsession. If you’ve been around a while, you know that my favorite breakfast is a delicious Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole. I love this recipe just as much.
This recipe came to be after I found some chorizo marked down at the grocery store. (I love those kinds-of trips!) Surprisingly, it was the first time I had ever purchased it. I don’t know if I had ever even tried it before.
Did you know you can even make your own chorizo? I have this recipe for chorizo saved on my Pinterest to try! Great way to enjoy it if you are on a Whole30 or eating Paleo and need to avoid some of the ingredients you normally find in it.
Back to breakfast. I know my love of sweet potatoes and we eat a lot of eggs for breakfast so I couldn’t go wrong if I put it all together with some bell peppers and onions. A perfect and flavorful dish!
I make this dish roasting a ton of cubed sweet potatoes in the oven. You could also dice the sweet potatoes and cook them in a skillet. Since I make the sweet potatoes in bulk (I fill up a jelly roll pan), the oven works best. (I’ve even done it on broil when I don’t want to heat up the house as much. I just have to watch them more closely so they don’t get scorched.)
Time Saving Tip: Roast a ton of sweet potatoes at the beginning of the week and then for the other breakfasts, just grab out and reheat in a skillet with the also already cooked bell peppers, onions, and chorizo while you are cooking the eggs and breakfast will be done in 5 minutes.
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½-1 pound chorizo
- ½ of a large onion, diced
- 1 bell peppers, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 eggs
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive or Coconut Oil
- Peel and chop/dice your sweet potatoes into whatever size pieces you like best. Place on a large rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in an oven preheat to 450 degrees and bake for 20-45 minutes depending on the size of your pieces. Toss part way through. You want them to have golden brown parts and be tender but not mushy.
- Brown the chorizo in a skillet and remove to a bowl.
- In the same skillet saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic until tender and caramelized. Add to the chorizo.
- Whisk the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Add a splash of milk if you desire.
- Scramble eggs in the skilled the chorizo was just in.
- Combine the sweet potatoes, chorizo, onion mixture, and eggs in the skillet and enjoy!
Combine the roasted sweet potatoes, cooked chorizo, and cooked onion mixture. Refrigerate. In the morning reheat the amount you want in a skillet, remove to a bowl or plate, and cook your eggs in the same skillet. Just add to your already heated sweet potato mixture and your breakfast is ready!
Be sure to check out these other posts for more breakfast ideas: